Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving Leftovers

This year, my husband's family came to see us for Thanksgiving.  His parents have a summer home here, and they all stayed there, so it was nice to have everyone in town, and not overwhelming to have everyone at our home.  Because they were in from out of town, we got the leftovers!  By the time they left, however, we basically just got the turkey and some potatoes that somehow didn't make it in with the mashed ones.

I try to do a weekly meal plan and shop accordingly. It saves so much money and time and I find that I regret not doing it if I skip it for whatever reason. This week my goal was to use up that bird! I made some turkey soup on Sunday night and packed away 3 servings for my lunch at work.  And last night, I made a turkey casserole.  I neglected to take any pictures, but I will do my best to explain the casserole directions, because it was delicious!!


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flour
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
  • 4 capellini mushrooms
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp herbs de provence (dried)
  • 1/2 lb pasta
  • 1 1/4 cup diced cooked turkey
  • 1 1/4 frozen broccoli
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Thinly slice the mushrooms and saute with the garlic over medium heat until brown and wet-looking (about 5 minutes).
  3. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add in the flour and stir continuously for about 2 minutes.  Add in milk and herbs de provence and whisk.  After the mixture starts to thicken, add in the mushrooms and garlic. Whisk until it is the consistency of cream soup.
  4. While you are making your sauce, cook the pasta according to the box, drain, and pour into non-greased 8x13 casserole dish.
  5. Cube the turkey and add it and the broccoli to the casserole dish.
  6. Pour the sauce over the pasta, turkey, and broccoli.
  7. Add in the parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, and mix until all ingredients are equally coated.
  8. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top and bake for 15 minutes.
Sorry again for the lack of pictures, but do not let that be the reason you don't give this recipe a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment