Friday, February 7, 2014

Kicking and Screaming into the Gluten-Free Diet - Day 0

Well, let me start this post off by stating the obvious - I failed miserably at keeping up a daily blog through December, and didn't even try in January.  Now that I'm back, I'm going to use the next 30 days to document my, and my family's, transition into a gluten-free lifestyle.

First thing you might be asking is: why are they deciding to try gluten-free now?  And my answer to that revolves around my 3 year old.  Maddie is about as fair as they come, and with that fairness comes a bigger probability that she will have allergies and other sensitivities (gluten, for example).  I've read a little bit about gluten sensitivity, as has my husband, and it seems that it can effect moods/emotions, as well as have a physical manifestation in the gluten sensitive individual.  Maddie has noticeably dry and bumpy skin on the backs of her arms (a possible symptom), which I have noticed before, but brushed off as nothing.  The mood/emotional manifestation got us thinking, however.  My daughter is a very sweet, very intelligent girl (I know you think I'm just saying this because I'm her mom, but she really is).  However, when she has a tantrum, she completely (and I mean completely) loses it.  We're talking trying to hit/bite/scratch/kick me and my husband (and herself!), throwing and breaking toys, and recently, peeing on the floor.  My daughter has been potty-trained since she was 21 months old, so this new development is just too much.  While I do realize that I am dealing with a 3 year old and tantrums come with the territory, we have decided to give this gluten-free diet a try to see if it will help her mood stabilize to make everyone in the family a happier person.

So today I did some more research and this weekend I will do some shopping based on what I have found. This website has been very helpful for those of you thinking of taking this journey. I will check in daily to let you know how the transition is going and to share any yummy recipes I stumble upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment